Before every major election, GFCA holds a TownHall to educate voters on key election issues. On October 11th at 7:30 p.m. (at the Great Falls Grange), GFCA has arranged debates on two major ballot issues this November. The Fairfax County Meals Tax and the Virginia Constitutional Amendment popularly referred to as the “Right to Work” proposal have garnered the most attention beyond the Presidential and Congressional elections. The TownHall program will include:
- Meals Tax debate: featuring Supervisor Pat Herrity opposing the Meals Tax and Supervisor John Foust supporting it. Having two of the leading Fairfax County Board of Supervisors debate will provide a valuable opportunity to learn about the reality of the issues behind the rhetoric.
- Right to Work debate: For the proposed Virginia Constitutional Amendment on “Right to Work”, we will feature two distinguished speakers debating the pros and cons. James Young (Staff Attorney, National Right to Work Legal Defense & Education Foundation for more than 25 years) will make the argument for the amendment. Dan Duncan (President of the Northern VA Central Labor Council) will argue against.
- Congressional Candidate Statements: GFCA solicited personal statements from LuAnn Bennett (Dem), Barbara Comstock (Rep), and JD Thorpe (Lib) to the citizens of Great Falls about why they are running and why we should support them as our VA-District 10 Representative. Their personalized letters to the citizens of Great Falls will be available at the TownHall.
- County Spending and Taxation: GFCA is building a fact-base to better understand and evaluate County spending and taxation, and will present a brief tutorial that may be helpful to voters in understanding the arguments surrounding the Meal Tax and bond issues.
- Educational Materials will be distributed: In addition to the debates, GFCA will have detailed, printed information for voters on the other ballot items – including several county bond issues.