The Special Committee on Schools met and assembled the following options to consider presenting to the Fairfax County School Board at a Meeting scheduled for December 7, 2020:
- Prefer the smallest boundary change option with the Colvin Run ES split feeder area and a potion of Wesbriar ES. Because a) it offers some relief b) it solves a split feeder problem at Colvin Run c) it leaves room for growth at Langley - because of the concern about the accuracy of FCPS student enrollment forecasts
- Question to submit: Are boundary adjustment options based on no growth/negative growth FCPS forecasts or on Fairfax County’s high growth forecasts for the McLean/Langley school pyramids?
- Leave room for growth at Langley (Fairfax County demographics reports forecasts addition 4000 housholds in 2025 for zip codes 22102 and 22066 that primarily feed Langley HS)
- Do not overcrowd Cooper
- Include Mclean HS expansion as part of any boundary change plan
- Add McLean HS expansion to the next CIP (Capital Improvement Plan)
- Offer grandfathering at least for 8th graders but 6th graders is preferred for affected families
- Offer also an opt-in option, if students want to switch ahead of the grandfathering period.
- Explore program placement solutions
- Add overcrowding as reason for Transfer Requests per Regulation 2230